People often wonder whether their couch needs throw pillows. After all, some people take the definition of throw pillows a little too far. You might walk into your perfectly styled family room several times a day only to find your pillows tossed about and squished, leaving you wondering whether you need throw pillows on your couch to begin with.
However, designer throw pillows can be a great way to add style, texture, and comfort to your couch and home. When you want to pull a room together, you need pillows. When you want to add coziness, you need pillows. When you want people to be comfortable, you need pillows. And this post helps you understand just what pillows—as well as a tidy couch—can do for your space.
How Best to Incorporate Throw Pillows into a Space
You want to create a cozy, inviting space where you can relax, and you want guests to find that same comfort when invited into your home. So designer throw pillows give you a chance to experiment and have fun with your arrangement until you find the perfect balance for your space.
Here are some tips on how to use throw pillows on your couch:
- Vary the size: Large throw pillows can make a statement and provide extra comfort, while smaller pillows can add pops of color and texture or vice versa. To pick the perfect designer throw pillows for your couch, a variation of sizes is important.
- Mix and match patterns and textures: Patterns and textures can add interest and depth to your couch. Consider using a mix of solid colors, geometric patterns, and textured fabrics.
- Vary the shapes: Using throw pillows in different shapes, such as square, rectangular, or round, can add visual interest to your couch.
- Play with color: Choose throw pillows that complement the colors in your room or provide a complementary pop of color. Matching solids with colors in your favorite pattern helps to provide a cohesive look.
- Arrange strategically: Play around with different arrangements to find what works best for your couch. You can place pillows symmetrically, create a diagonal arrangement, or stack pillows for a more relaxed look.
Pillows can also support the tone you want to set in a room. Because you want to add warmth, comfort, and texture to your space, consider the following factors to maintain your aesthetic when selecting pillows and their arrangement:
- Look and feel: High-quality pillows will always be comfortable, but pillows made of soft or luxurious materials, such as cotton or velvet, can add a sense of warmth or luxury to your couch.
- Layering: Layering pillows is a strategy that can set the formality level in your room. So pay attention to how you layer fabrics and textures so that you achieve a look that complements your aesthetic.
- Color and pattern: Adding pillows in warm, earthy tones or soft pastels can create a warm and cozy atmosphere. Patterned pillows, such as floral or geometric prints, can add interest and texture to your couch. Mixing them in a cohesive, coordinated way can further elevate the look of your room while maintaining a high level of comfort and approachability.
- Personalization: Patterns that reflect your personal style not only can tie your room together but also tie it into your overall aesthetic. By choosing pillows that reflect your style, you can create a space that feels personal, which is warm and welcoming to guests.
Pillows can update your couch and give your space a sense of warmth, comfort, and personalization. By using different textures, colors, and patterns, you can create a space that feels inviting and relaxing, making your couch the perfect place to curl up with a book or gather with friends.
Keeping Your Couch Tidy
While you can select the perfect arrangement of designer pillows, you may not keep them perfectly in place without tethering them to your couch, which we don’t recommend. However, a tidy couch is a comfortable and inviting couch, even if the pillows are slightly askew. So here are some tips to help keep your couch tidy:
- Vacuum regularly. Use a vacuum cleaner to remove dust, dirt, and debris from your couch. Be sure to use the upholstery attachment, which is gentler than the regular vacuum head and won't damage the fabric. You’d be surprised at how quickly you can accomplish this when you do it regularly.
- Use a lint roller. In a pinch or to remove pet hair and other debris from your couch, roll a lint roller over the surface of your couch, paying special attention to areas where your pets like to sit or sleep.
- Use pet blankets or covers. If your pet gets a prominent place on your couch, offer a quilted cover or blanket for your pet to rest on to avoid having to clean hair from your couch daily.
- Fluff and rotate your cushions. Fluffing and rotating your couch cushions regularly can help them maintain their shape and prevent them from looking lumpy or uneven. This also helps to distribute the use more evenly across the couch.
- Wash slipcovers. If your couch uses slipcovers, take time to launder them according to their directions often.
- Avoid eating on the couch. Part of being comfortable may be eating on the couch. You can either avoid eating on the couch or use fashionable trays to keep crumbs, spills, and stains at bay.
- Clean up spills immediately. If you do spill something on your couch, clean it up right away to prevent it from soaking into the fabric. Use a clean cloth or paper towel to blot the area, and avoid rubbing, which can spread the stain.
Keeping a tidy couch takes a bit of regular maintenance, which includes rearranging your pillows as necessary. However, don’t despair if your designer throw pillows aren’t always arranged perfectly or fluffed to your liking. If the pillows have been moved about and even squished a bit, it means you did your job. You brought cohesion and comfort to your room and made the area a pleasant and cozy space to relax.