When you purchase designer decorative pillows, you’re investing in a look to enhance your style and comfort, whether you buy bedroom throw pillows or ones for the couch. But because you want to add quality comfort to your space, pillows get used. Friends and family move them around to get comfortable, lay on them, and use them as lap pillows to prop up their devices. You may come in and notice pillows out of place, smooshed down, or worse, on the floor.
If you’re afraid you’ll have to throw out pillows due to them getting used or getting dirty, you may feel like whisking them away when someone is in the room, which defeats half the purpose of having them in the first place. But if you buy designer decorative pillows from a high-quality source, you can be sure they were designed for style and comfort. So you can use your pillows without fear because this post gives you tips to keep your pillows looking as good as new.
Cleaning Tips for Designer Pillow Fabric
Designer throw pillows may require special care due to their unique materials, intricate designs, or delicate nature. As long as you know how to care for them, you can keep them clean and fresh for daily use. Here are some steps on how to clean designer decorative pillows:
- Check the care label. Your first source of information should always be the care label. This label offers specific cleaning instructions based on your pillow’s material and design. So it's essential to follow the manufacturer's recommendations.
- Blot spills and stains right away. As soon as you notice a fresh spill or stain, blot it with a dry white cloth. If your pillow has an insert, carefully take out the insert and keep a white cloth on the underside of the spill as you blot the top. The cloth on the underside will soak up the spill or stain as you blot.
- Avoid rubbing stains or spills. You may be eager to get the process moving quickly but don’t rub at stains or spills. This can ruin the fabric. Patience while blotting is key!
- Spot clean as needed. If you notice stains or spills or blotting didn’t remedy the entire spot, you can spot clean the pillows. Use a mild detergent or a water-free solvent. Blot the stain gently with a clean cloth and avoid rubbing or scrubbing, which can spread the stain or damage the fabric.
- Dry clean if needed. If you have stubborn stains or don’t have the time for spot cleaning, take the pillows to a professional cleaner. Dry cleaning can help preserve the integrity and appearance of the pillows, especially if they are made from delicate or sensitive materials.
Taking care of your designer throw pillows will help them maintain their beauty, comfort, and durability. If you're unsure about how to clean your specific designer throw pillows, consult the care label or take them to a professional dry cleaner for proper care.
Keeping Pillow Inserts Clean
Washing pillow inserts can help keep them fresh and clean, and you should wash them once a year. Here are some general steps on how to wash pillow inserts:
- Remove the pillow cover. Consult the section above for how to clean covers. Never wash your covers and inserts together.
- Pre-treat stains, if needed. If your pillow had a spill or stain, it may also be on the insert. So if your inserts have any stains, pre-treat them before washing. Use a mild detergent that is safe for the fabric of the pillow inserts.
- Choose a gentle cycle and cold water. Machine wash the pillow inserts on a gentle cycle with cold water. Avoid using hot water, as it can cause the pillow inserts to lose their shape or shrink.
- Use mild detergent. Use a mild detergent that is suitable for the fabric of the pillow inserts. Avoid using bleach, harsh chemicals, or fabric softeners, as they can damage the filling or fabric of the pillow inserts. Powder detergent will leave behind a residue so stick with liquid.
- Avoid top-load washers. If you have to use a top load washer, place two pillows vertically in the washer to maintain balance in the machine. This will help prevent the washing machine from becoming off-balance and potentially damaging the pillow inserts or the machine.
- Rinse thoroughly. After the washing cycle is complete, rinse the pillow inserts thoroughly to remove all soap residue. Soap residue can cause the pillow inserts to become stiff or uncomfortable.
- Avoid wringing or rolling the inserts. If you wring your pillows or try to roll out excess moisture, you may inadvertently cause clumps.
- Dry thoroughly. Proper drying is essential to prevent mold, mildew, or odor. You can air dry the pillow inserts by hanging them in a well-ventilated area. You can also use a dryer to dry the pillow inserts. Add dryer balls to the dryer to help fluff the pillow inserts and restore their shape.
- Fluff and reshape. Once the pillow inserts are dry, gently fluff them by hand, if necessary, to restore their shape and loft. Fluffing and reshaping the pillow inserts will help them return to their original, comfortable form.
- Avoid bleach, steam, or dry cleaning. These products and methods aren’t safe for feather pillow inserts.
By following these tips, you can effectively clean and refresh your pillow inserts. Proper care and maintenance can help extend the lifespan of your pillow inserts and ensure they remain comfortable and hygienic for your use.
Your designer decorative pillows should be cleaned regularly for several reasons:
- Hygiene, odor, and allergen control: Over time, throw pillows can accumulate dirt, sweat, body oils, pet dander, and other allergens and particles from regular use, which can lead to the development of unpleasant odors and unhygienic conditions.
- Appearance: Throw pillows are often used for decorative purposes, and their appearance can impact the overall aesthetic of a room. Regular cleaning can help maintain the appearance of your pillows, preventing them from looking dirty, stained, or discolored.
- Durability: Cleaning throw pillows can help extend their lifespan. Dirt, sweat, and other particles that accumulate on throw pillows can gradually break down the fabric and filling and decrease the durability of your pillows.
Regular cleaning of your designer decorative pillows is essential to keep your couch looking cozy and comfortable and for maintaining the hygiene, appearance, durability, comfort, and style of your pillows. By following the right cleaning methods you can ensure your pillows are cleaned effectively and safely, and you can freely use and enjoy your designer pillows for years to come.